Monday, October 22, 2012

If ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up

“God will never stop helping us to become quality people. I promise you this. He
will constantly help us to be our best when we walk in the light of truth, hope, and
appreciation. Make yours a quality life, for you are important to the Lord and to us.”
Marvin J. Ashton
By Emily Freeman
Alma 52:38 – Alma 56:13
Yesterday I spent the afternoon and evening with these six boys.
OK…men.
But they will always be boys to me.
Halfway through the day I leaned over to my husband and said, “How did they become such good boys?  And how did they stay such good friends?”
Of course much is attributed to great parents and many church leaders who have been there over the years.
But, all of that being said, none of my other children have a group of friends quite like this one has been.
––Hence the question I asked my husband…how did that happen?
“I don’t know,” my husband replied, “but I think some of it has to do with Coach Corbett.”
Immediately my mind went back eight years ago to when those same boys spent a good part of every day in sweaty jerseys practicing soccer with Coach Corbett…
He was a man who taught loyalty…diligence…responsibility.
Sure, he taught soccer, but the boys learned a lot more than a sport during their time with him ––and what they learned somehow made its way into their life.
His coaching affected their loyalty, diligence, and honesty to the team and on the field, but that knowledge also became a part of who they were in their religion, their schooling, and their friendships.
Later that evening Coach Corbett walked into the room.  We haven’t seen him for over two years.  I watched as all of those boys immediately gathered to his side.
…And I realized my husband was right.
The Coach is a man who had a profound influence on their life.
Today I read about the stripling warriors, “and they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for truth, and also for strength and activity. But behold, this is not all, they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.” (Alma 53:20)
Often when we talk about these warriors we talk of their mothers, but how often do we talk about their leader.
Helaman.
How impactful was his influence on their life?
 And what was the background that prepared him for that moment?
I couldn’t help but notice scriptures such as these:
And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day
Alma 36:3
 But if ye keep the commandments of God, and do with these things which are sacred according to that which the Lord doth command you, (for you must appeal unto the Lord for all things whatsoever ye must do with them) behold, no power of earth or hell can take them from you, for God is powerful to the fulfilling of all his words. O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God. Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
Alma 37:16 & 35-37
….as you read the story of the Stripling Warriors you might watch for the characteristics of a great leader as defined by the life of Helaman.
Let’s learn from his story.
Then maybe we could try to add some of those characteristics into our own life.
A man who had a powerful influence.
A great leader.
Helaman.

No comments:

Post a Comment