Friday, June 22, 2012

For those who love climbing Hills : )


Oh Come On…It’s Not THAT Steep!

by Hilary Weeks

June 18th, 2012
Killer Hill.
It’s about a half mile from our house and it is as bad as it sounds.  Not because there are criminals lurking in the bushes, but because it is a SUPER STEEP CLIMB.  My treadmill has a max incline of 12% and if I had to guess the incline of Killer Hill…it would be at least 82.567%.  I swear it feels like you are running at a 90 degree angle.
The short but arduous, lung-burning climb is fresh in my memory; I faced it last Saturday.  About a mile before approaching the hill, a car passed me.  It looked like one of my girl friend’s cars.  As it passed I thought, “If that was Emily, and she pulled over to see if I wanted a ride so I didn’t have to run up Killer Hill, I would gladly, willingly, gratefully accept.”
That thought was immediately squelched by this one…
“If you can’t do the hard, then you don’t deserve the easy.”
I arrived at the base of the hill.  I stopped, and waited until I could breathe so my lungs would be ready.  I even said a prayer that my body and mind would be strong.  I rarely make it to the top without stopping, hunched over, grabbing my knees, gasping for high-altitude air.
Today, I wanted to conquer the hill.
I wanted to run to the top.  No walking.
I thought about a goal that I’ve been hoping to achieve.  I  told myself that if I made it to the top without stopping or walking, it would symbolically represent me achieving the goal.
I began.  Maybe I shouldn’t have, but I kept my head down.  I didn’t want to see how far I had to go, I just wanted to see each step I took to get there.  I thought of my desired goal.  The hope and vision of achieving it carried me to the top.
I felt victorious…and nigh unto death.

Killer Hill Takeaways…
1.  If I am not willing to push to the top of a painful hill, then I don’t deserve the flat ground.  I appreciate the 0% incline much, much more after experiencing the effort of the steep climb.  (That is an analogy for life…)
2. I can do hard things. (And so can you.)
3. Prayer works.
4. When you are approaching something HARD – get your mind right.  Stop.  Pause.  Focus.  Tell yourself you can do it.  And then go.
5.  When you are focused on your dreams, it makes the effort worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment