Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The mirror of memory that beckons us forward

 
 
He is all about the details, for He is in all the details,
 
each blessing designed individually for each of us.
 
~
……. even to our frail human logic to observe that there cannot be a grand plan of salvation for all mankind unless there is also a plan for each individual.”
 
“And all things are present with me, for I know them all” (Moses 1:6). God does not live in the dimension of time as do we. Moreover, since “all things are present with” God, his is not simply a predicting based solely upon the past. In ways which are not clear to us, he actually sees, rather than foresees, the future because all things are, at once, present, before him!
 
the Spirit teaches us the truth “of things as they really are, and … really will be …….in some of those precious and personal moments of discovery, there will be a sudden surge of recognition of an immortal insight, a doctrinal deja vu. We will sometimes experience a flash from
 
the mirror of memory that beckons us forward to a far horizon.
 
Neal A. Maxwell
 
"It's in the Details"
By Hilary Weeks
In my patriarchal blessing there is advice about how I should pray.  Paraphrasing, I am counseled to tell Heavenly Father all the things I would tell my earthly father, and more.  Basically I should talk openly with Him.  Talk to Him in detail about my day, about my feelings, about my life.  All the details just like I would with my dad.  I like talking to my dad.  I can tell he cares about me.
A few years ago, my nephew spent the day with us.  We were about to have breakfast and I asked five-year old Seth to bless the food.  He happily agreed.  I was surprised as I listened to his prayer.
 
“Dear Heavenly Father, we thank Thee for this day.  We thank Thee for our blessings.  We thank Thee for this food.  We are having toast, eggs and bacon.”  And then he ended the prayer.
 
I have thanked Heavenly Father countless times for the food I was about to eat – but I have never told Him what it was!  Of course, He could just peek down from Heaven and see the spread, but how wonderful it must have been when Seth just told Him!
 
Thinking about the advice in my blessing, I am certain that Heavenly Father would love it if I took the time to share more of the details.   Maybe instead of just thanking Him for a good day, I could tell Him why I’m thankful.  I could express how good it felt to make progress on the laundry and how nice it is to have a washer and dryer to do most of the work.  (I’m still holding out hope that someone will invent a machine that folds the clothes…but I probably don’t need to mention that.)  I could tell Him that we felt the Spirit during Family Home Evening or that the kids got along well today increasing the love in our home.  Maybe I could tell him about an uplifting book I read and how it made me feel.
 
The fact of the matter is, we can tell Him anything.  What’s more, He’ll care about it.  Just like I love it when I ask one of my daughter’s about their day and instead of saying “It was good,” they launch into a description of everything they experienced.  That kind of communication keeps us connected.  It brings us closer to each other.  That kind of communication with Heavenly Father will keep us connected and close to Him.
 
So, don’t forget to share the details.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment