Monday, September 16, 2013

PUMPKIN MUFFIN MIRACLES

If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance and care.
 
 Marvin J Ashton
 
PUMPKIN MUFFIN MIRACLES
By Allison Ruth
I have a special place in my heart for muffins.  It sounds silly, but for me, muffins make all the difference.

When my husband left me three years ago, I was scared and heartbroken and ashamed.  I didn't know how I was going to get out of bed in the morning, let alone raise three young children all by myself.  
I couldn't see good things anywhere on my horizon.

As my world crumbled to pieces around me, I realized what it means to be a mother.  I was hurt and broken and lost, yet I had three little ones that depended on me.   My problems felt huge,
but as I prayed I realized the answer I was seeking was simple:

Make breakfast.

I didn't know how to parent on my own.  I didn't know how I was going to pay the mortgage.  I didn't know how to heal a broken heart.  I did know how to make breakfast.  Muffins were my miracle.

Today, I can still see the wisdom in the guidance I received that day.  When we are facing seemingly insurmountable challenges, the best thing to do is the most simple thing we are capable of doing.  For me, that was making breakfast.  It was a small step forward and it made all the difference.

I cooked a meal for my kids, and though it was a small thing, it was a moment in which I was looking for what was right instead of seeing everything that was wrong.  Three years and many meals later, I have found hope, happiness, and joy in being a mother.  Life is good.  

This wasn't the path I intended to take six years ago when I became a parent, but finding good things around any corner is as simple as a dozen hot muffins just out of the oven.  I still worry about my kids' well being, I wonder about God's plan for me, and I'm still figuring out how to pay the mortgage, but I know that even when I have more questions than answers,  I can feed my kids a home cooked meal and feel good about something.

If you are in need of a good thing right now, here's a recipe for twelve really good things! These Pumpkin Muffins with Almond Streusel are a favorite at our house, and our friends' and neighbors' houses too.  Enjoy!

 
Pumpkin Muffins with Almond Streusel

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
2 eggs
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt
Streusel Ingredients
4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons chopped almonds
4 tablespoons all purpose flour

Directions

Spray each individual cup of a 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick spray, set aside.   Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  

In a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients.  Work mixture with fingers until well combined.  Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.

In a medium bowl sift together dry muffin ingredients.   In a separate medium bowl, combine wet muffin ingredients and whisk well.  Make a well in the center of flour mixture and pour wet mix into flour mixture.  Stir only until just combined.  Gently fold in half of the streusel mix.

Spoon batter into muffin pan, filling each cup 2/3 full.  Top with remaining streusel mix.  Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until muffins are lightly browned and spring back when touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment