Friday, November 27, 2015

In a way we can understand


On Saturday night Greg tried to fix the bathroom sink. The one that won't drain.
Oh, he tried everything.  When nothing worked he opened the cupboards and took the whole thing apart.  When that didn't work he shut the cupboard and went to bed. Grace and I were having a girl's night out when all this took place.
Needless to say, we had no idea about the sink project left undone. Until Sunday morning.
It was after we had gotten ready for the day.  After the washing faces, brushing teeth, cleaning out the sink.  It was when the cupboard door magically opened by itself and water came spilling out all over the bathroom floor.  That's when we realized there had been a sink project.
I thought to myself, sometimes you have to call in the professionals.
This is probably one of those times.
This week I will rely on the help of professionals.  I'm flying to Texas on Friday.  On Thursday I will have a full skin check like I do every six months.  Today I'm going to work with someone who is brilliant with social media.  And there is the issue with the bathroom sink…
Each of them are experts in their field. I don't know what I would do without them.
But this morning I was reminded of a professional that we sometimes overlook.
It was shortly after seminary started.  In the dark hours of the morning, before the sun had  a chance to rise.
A boy named Adam stood up at the front of our class and 30 kids all waited to see what he had to share.  He read a scripture and then said one simple sentence…
"The Holy Ghost is a professional at what he does."
The thought sunk deep.
A professional. At touching the heart. At giving warnings. At sending promptings.
At speaking to each of us, in our own language, in a way we can understand.
I thought about my day, and about my week, and about my life…sometimes you have to call in the professional.
And sometimes I forget.
"We like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters? We know the Lord has laid high responsibilities upon us, and there is not a wish or desire that the Lord has implanted in our hearts in righteousness but will be realized, and the greatest good we can do to ourselves and each other is to refine and cultivate ourselves in everything that is good and ennobling to qualify us for those responsibilities."
Eliza R. Snow

"Compared to the perfection of God, we mortals are scarcely more than awkward, faltering toddlers. But our loving Heavenly Father wants us to become more like Him, and that should be our eternal goal too. God understands that we get there not in an instant but by taking one step at a time."
Dieter F. Uchtdorf

"We make our own happiness no matter what trials, tribulations, or sorrows we face in this life. We choose based on our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ to be of good cheer."
Mary G. Cook

"Our knowledge of the Savior, Jesus Christ, and His Atonement helps us to endure our trials and to see purpose in suffering and to trust God for what we cannot comprehend."
Neal A. Maxwell


Always remember that there is really a time and a season for all things. The Lord doesn't expect us to run faster than we have strength, but He wants us to be diligent, and to always be engaged in a good cause. I know that agency and the right to choose are divine gifts that we have to learn to use correctly in order to gain eternal life and exaltation. Some of those choices are hard to make, but if we put them in the proper perspective, always seeking first the kingdom of God, the things that matter most for us will never be at the mercy of things which matter least. Strive to
have your small daily choices show clearly what you truly value. I have a testimony that these things are true, and I pray that each of you will pray for the Lord's guidance in discerning which of life's choices will bring you the most lasting happiness. I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and our Redeemer. I know that God lives, that He loves each one of us because we are His children, and that He has given us the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide us, lead us and direct us in the choices we make that will have eternal
consequences. And of this I testify to you in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Silvia H. Allred

No comments:

Post a Comment