Friday, October 26, 2012

The Lord's invitation is extended to each of us

By Emily Freeman
After the storm.
After the smoke, and the tempests, and the earthquakes.
After the mourning, and the darkness, and the silence.
After the whispering of the still, small voice that did pierce them to the very soul,
and did cause their hearts to burn. 
3 Nephi 11:3
He stood in the midst of them.
Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified should come into the world.
“And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto them saying: Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know…and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety…” 3 Nephi 11:14-15
Every time I read this account I wonder what would I have said if that opportunity had been mine?
What would I have thought?
What would I have felt?
Each time I read this chapter I ponder upon what it would be like to meet the Savior.  I feel certain that my thoughts will be flooded with memories of the times on my own Earthly journey when I have felt Him near me when I recognized an answer to prayer, when I saw miracles in the ordinary moments, the tender mercy experiences of my life.
Usually this chapter fills my heart with anticipation for the Second Coming.  But recently I have come to understand that perhaps that one on one experience with the Lord need not be a future event.
Could it be possible that I might have that third Nephi experience right now… every time I turn to the Lord longing to draw closer to Him?
Looking back on the most personal experiences of my life, the moments when I have turned to the atonement as a healing balm, as a source of strength, or as a means of change, I realize I have had the sweet opportunity to know the Lord in a very personal way.
In the darkest hours I have felt the prints, when my way has been obscured I have seen with my eyes, and in the moments when I have been given strength beyond my own, courage to do what I otherwise could not, and peace within a heart that could not be comforted I have come to know the Lord.
I have seen, I have felt, and I have known of a surety.
This 3 Nephi experience was not meant for just 2500 people.
The Lord’s invitation is extended to each of us,
“…ye see that I have commanded that none of you should go away,
but rather have commanded that ye should come unto me,
that ye might feel and see…”
3 Nephi 17:25
Come unto Him.
Experience the atonement.
That ye may know.
One by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment