Wednesday, December 23, 2015

He restores. He leads. He encourages.



The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them. ~Unknown
David Butler
Isn't it funny how quickly a conversation hops topics. One minute baseball, the next the moon. Sometimes, in the right place, at the right times, those conversations settle somewhere deeper–I love those times. Yesterday we were there–in those deeper places–some friends and I. As we were talking we hit a stumbling block.  A question that made us all wonder. Sometimes in those moments, bewilderment can accidentally turn into doubt. Faith seems to grow slowly and deliberately–like a gorgeous and grand oak–but doubt seems to spread like a weed. I feel danger when it lingers. And then a friend said something so penetrating.
As I hummed and hawed about the solution to the dilemma that was presented, he said simply: "I don't know.  But it must be for good, because God is so good." It must be for good…because God is so good. Why would it be any other way? Yes, I believe he is right. God, who is so very very good, would not orchestrate something that didn't have the most brilliant of purposes and reasoning.
Purposes that would elevate and refine and beautify his children. When you can't see the hand of God–you trust His heart. He is our shepherd and would never leave us wanting. He offers green pastures–places of safety–and still waters–places of refreshment. He restores.  He leads.  He encourages.  Ever beside me. He fills my empty cup to overflowing.
"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life…" (Psalm 23)  Surely. Surely there's a good and merciful reason. Because of who He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment