Saturday, May 19, 2012

I am the Lord, and there is none else."


Emily Freeman
Isaiah 44:1 – Isaiah 49:6
I have a son who is serving a mission in Croatia.
On Sunday he told us about something their whole mission is doing, and the idea was such a good one I decided we should do it in our home too.
The Area Authority who serves over Caleb’s mission recently came to a mission conference.  He told the story of Nephi building the boat, found in 1 Nephi 17.  You remember the story…Laman and Lemuel told Nephi he couldn’t accomplish such a great work.  What did Nephi do?  He immediately began recounting the stories of the Bible…the Red Sea being divided, the manna in the wilderness, the water springing forth from the rock, the light by night, and the guidance through the day.  He gave his brothers evidences of all the great things the Lord had done for the children of Israel.
…the recorded evidences of the hand of the Lord in the lives of His people.
The Area Authority explained to the missionaries that in essence the Scriptures are really a Book of Evidences ––a record kept by the children of the Lord of the moments when they witnessed His hand in their lives.  Then he asked the missionaries to purchase a notebook and to start keeping their own Book of Evidences.
A record of the moments when they recognized the hand of the Lord in their lives.
A journal they could turn to and look back on in moments of doubt, to remind them that the Lord can help them accomplish great things.
The idea is simple, but profound.
Yesterday I went out and purchased an inexpensive journal for each of my children.  I had the store imprint “Book of Evidences” on the cover.  I challenged my family to start keeping a record of our dealings with the Lord… a record of prayers answered, moments when the Spirit is felt,
experiences shared with others that build testimony.
The times in our lives when we witness the hand of the Lord.
Perhaps we will learn to recognize moments such as those spoken of in the Book of Isaiah…
“I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring.”  (Isaiah 44:3)
“Remember…I have formed thee; …thou shalt not be forgotten of me.”  (Isaiah 44:21)
“I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight…”  (Isaiah 45:2)
“I have raised him up in righteousness, and I will direct all his ways…”  (Isaiah 45:13)
“I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.”  (Isaiah 46:11)
“Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.”  (Isaiah 47:10)
“My God shall be my strength.”  (Isaiah 49:5)
As we write down these moments, these experiences, these memories, our faith in the Lord will be strengthened.  Perhaps page after page will become filled with our testimony, just as the pages of Isaiah are filled with his…
“I am the Lord, and there is none else…”  (Isaiah 45:5)
“I am the Lord, and there is none else…”  (Isaiah 45:6)
“I am the Lord; and there is none else…”  (Isaiah45:18)
“Remember the former things of old:
for I am God, and there is none else;
I am God, and there is none like me…”
(Isaiah 46:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment