Friday, August 24, 2012

ONE by ONE how the Lord reaches and teaches us

By Hilary Weeks
Two summers ago I went on Trek with our ward.  I wasn’t overly excited to go.   It’s not that I wasn’t interested in the pioneers or didn’t want to see those sacred locations – it’s just that I had been through some rough months and my mind was focused on survival.
My personal preparation for Trek was…essentially non-existent.
As a result, my experience at Martin’s Cove was…not what it could have been.
I have wanted a re-do ever since.
Earlier this summer my three youngest daughters came to me with their finest “puppy dog” faces.  They had an idea. 
Our family should go to the American Girl Doll store in Denver!  I agreed - that was a good idea!
This was my chance for a do-over!  I suggested we stop in Martin’s Cove on our way there.  Knowing the value of preparing for a spiritual experience, we decided to read and learn about the Martin Handcart Company.  As a family we discussed the pioneers and what they went through.  We prayed as a family that we would have a testimony building experience while there.  The Sunday before our adventure we fasted as a family.  Tim and I visited the temple the day before we left.
We felt prepared.
…and we were richly blessed.
Each of us – even the seven year old – learned and felt something while we were there.  On the drive home (a couple of days later) we talked about what we had experienced and I was shocked at how many things we had learned…everyone of us was taught something different.  I love how the Lord reaches and teaches us ONE by ONE.  Each heavenly lessons is individual-specific.  We counted 17 different things that we learned!
SE-VEN-TEEEEEN!
That is amazing to me.
Here’s our list:
1. What we have to give is enough
2. Each person makes a difference
3. We are stronger together
4. Preparation matters
5. Be a leader
6. Choose to contribute
7. Encourage each other
8. Lend a hand
9. Don’t complain
10. Be grateful for Priesthood power
11. Put the past behind
12. Lighten the handcart
13. We are each special
14. We can do hard things
15. Ask
16. Walk the extra mile
17. Leave worries on the other side of the river

No comments:

Post a Comment