Monday, August 6, 2012

Lovest thou me



“Jesus saith to Simon Peter, lovest thou me more than these?” The question, however tenderly put, must have wrung Peter’s heart, coupled as it was with the reminder of his bold but undependable protestation, “Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended,” followed by his denial that he had ever known the Man. To the Lord’s inquiry Peter answered humbly, “Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee.” Then said Jesus, “Feed my lambs.” The question was repeated, and Peter replies in identical words, to which the Lord responded, “Feed my sheep.” And yet the third time Jesus asked, “Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?” Peter was pained and grieved at this reiteration, thinking perhaps that the Lord mistrusted him, but as the man had three times denied, so now was he given opportunity for a triple confession. To the thrice repeated question, Peter answered: Lord, thou knowest all things, thou knowest that I Love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

 James E. Talmage

No comments:

Post a Comment