Monday, December 31, 2012

It takes trust and faith

Thank Heaven. No really – I mean it.

by Hilary Weeks

This is the text message I read from my daughter this morning.
Excited to hear about the miracle, I texted her immediately, albeit too early.  (9:30 am…much to early for a college student to be awake.)  I wondered what the miracle could be?  Heavenly help on a test?  Cereal in the bottom of the box when she thought there was none?
No.
I found out tonight, the miracle was far more significant.
Her life was spared.
She and two of her roommates went to the store just before midnight last night.  On the way home, a car drove straight at them, 50 miles an hour in the wrong lane.  The car was heading directly towards them.  With only seconds to make a decision, she saw the only parting of construction cones along the whole rode, and she turned out of her lane in the opening.  She brought her car to a swift stop as the driver of the other car zoomed past and then swerved, crossing three lanes, back into their own lane.
The three roommates, once stopped on the side of the road, prayed.
I will continue that prayer of gratitude for many days to come.  There are not words to express my gratitude that she and her roommates and the other driver were not injured.
“Let us never forget to pray.  God lives.  He is near.  He is real.  He is not only aware of us but cares for us.  He is our Father.  He is accessible to all who will seek Him.”
~Gordon B. Hinckley~
It is so frightening to let your child leave the walls of your home to spread their wings.  It takes trust and faith – in the child – and in God.  I pray every day for her well-being and safety. 
Tonight, I thank the Lord that it was not her time to go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment