Monday, February 10, 2014

Can you feel the yearning?

by Emily Freeman
 
 
The room probably filled with wonder as the priest Zacharias spoke once more after such a long silence.
The lot fell on him for administering the incense almost a year prior to the birth of his long awaited son.
He stumbled out of the inner court of the temple, speechless, filled with questions.
And then, at this momentous occasion, as he presented his son before the Lord, he was filled with the Holy Ghost as he prophesied about the coming Messiah and the prophet who would prepare the way before him.
Every soul must have burned with testimony as his first words penetrated their anticipating hearts.
That He would come…
“To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,
Through the tender mercy of our God;
whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,
To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
to guide our feet into the way of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)
I adore this symbol for Christ.
The dayspring.  The breaking of day flowing out from the east like a mountain spring.  Constant.  Plentiful.
As a servant of the temple, Zacharias would have often watched the sun rise over the eastern mountain range.  The light would spill over the rolling tops, glide down the cliffsides, slip into the valleys, and then steadily and surely illuminate ever dark corner of the city.
Every morning just the same.
Constant light.
A sunrise–a dayspring–could be anticipated and even expected at the break of every new day.
I want to remember this imagery tomorrow morning as I watch the sun rise over my own mountain range just as I kneel in morning prayer.
Just as I expect the light that emanates from the sun to fill my windows, my rooms, and bring light to the dark corners of my home–I will anticipate the same constancy from the light of the Son.
Beginning at dawn and continuing throughout every hour of the day.
As constant as the light of the morning.
The Holy Spirit will be the messenger of His grace.  The deliverer and medium that will flow through this illuminating power.
What a glorious thing it is to live in the light of revelation–the light of holiness.
As I sit in the darkness of night, I yearn for the morning rays.
I want my heart to develop that same yearning for the Spirit.
It has.
Can you feel the yearning?
Do you anticipate the constant flowing of light, truth, virtue, and intelligence into every corner of your day?
Do you feel His gentle touch distilling upon your soul and remaining with each passing hour.
It is our privilege–a gift–to live in the light continually.
Constantly.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment