Thursday, January 29, 2015

Increased compassion along the way

I walked a mile with Pleasure;
She chattered all the way;
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow,
And ne'er a word said she;
But oh, the things I learned from her,
when sorrow walked with me.

Learning to endure times of disappointment, suffering, and sorrow is part of our on-the-job training. These experiences whileoften difficult to bear at the time, are precisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character, and increase our compassion for others.  We experience hard things so that we too may have increased compassion and understanding for others.

Just as Christ's suffering taught him how to succor us, we can use the compassion we learn through our own trials to be more sensitive and to better serve others who are struggling.  We can be Christ's hand in bringing comfort to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment