Saturday, January 5, 2013

Great blessings will come

By Emily Freeman
Have you ever been asked to help with a project that seems so large it is almost incomprehensible?
This was my experience recently.
From the beginning the task seemed monumental.  
It was so all encompassing that I felt myself becoming swallowed up by it.
One morning I decided to quit.
Even though I had put months of effort into it.  Even though I had accepted the responsibility.
There were plenty of other people on the committee…they didn’t really need me.
I was completely overwhelmed.
Since the assignment had been extended as a calling, I felt that I needed to let the Lord know of my decision to quit.
So I turned to Him in prayer.
Surely He would know how overwhelmed I was, He knew the intricacies of my life better than I did.  I felt He would understand my need to simplify in at least one area of my life.  Of course He would approve.
But He didn’t.
The quiet confirmation didn’t come.  Neither did the peace.
Instead clear direction, “Serve in every area you have been asked for this one month with no complaining.  Give everything you have to each of your assignments. Great blessings will come.”
It took digging deep, but I found the strength to continue.  I prayed for His creativity to attend us, for His orchestration, for His direction.  And when I was exhausted I prayed for His strength.
I believed that through Him great blessings would come.
I held Him to His word.
On the night it mattered, despite my anxiety, blessings were bestowed in great abundance.  Our committee stood back in awe and let the Lord orchestrate our small offering into something great and marvelous beyond our imagination.
I was reminded of what the Lord can do with a simple offering.
For that one moment I was so glad I hadn’t quit.
I was reminded of this experience as I read D&C 14 over the weekend.
“A great and marvelous work is about to come forth unto the children of men.  
Behold, I am God…
And behold, thou art David, and thou art called to assist…”  (D&C 14:1,2 & 11)
We must never forget God’s design in these Latter Days is to perform a great and marvelous work.  
But He can’t do it alone.
We are called to assist.
In mostly small and simple ways, with whatever offering He knows we can bring.  Even on the days that we feel overwhelmed.  Even in the moments when the task seems larger than we can handle.
Because those are the moments He steps in to help, and within that moment we are blessed.
“which thing if ye do, and are faithful, ye shall be blessed…” (D&C 14:11)
How have you been asked to assist in this great work?
Does your responsibility ever overwhelm you?
Or do you sometimes wonder if you could be doing more?
I love the description of  desire found in the next chapter, “for many times you have desired of me to know that which would be of the most worth unto you.  Behold, blessed are you for this thing…”  (D&C 15:4)
Reading this verse intrigued me, it made me wonder if I am doing that which would be of the most worth…
There is only One who knows the answer to that question.
So once again I find myself turning to the Lord in prayer to ask the question,
“Help me to know that which would be of the most worth…”
Lead me to discover that…
Then let me begin that great and marvelous work.
Would you like to know the work He has in mind for you?  Ask.  Then listen for the quiet prompting that will come…
“And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth to you will be…” (D&C 15:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment