Monday, January 21, 2013

He learned by doing


Charity Never Faileth
Hilary Weeks
When I think of charity, Moroni chapter seven comes immediately to mind.  It is a perfect and thorough description of what charity is.  It is a fool-proof place to turn when we need a little charity refresher course.  It is where we can go to re-connect with that much needed quality. A concise 108 word explanation of what charity looks and feels like.

"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beaerth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.  Wherefore my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, yea are nothing, for charity never faileth.  Wherefore cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail - but charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him."

Moroni beautifully recorded this description of charity – which he was taught by his father, Mormon.  Mormon had instilled in his son a deep understanding of what it meant to have charity.  Kind of makes you wonder how Mormon learned so much about it.

He learned by doing.  His was a hands-on experience.

Mormon grew up in troubled times.  Mormon describes the world in which he lived in these words:

"Wickedness did prevail upon the face of the whole land." Mor. 1:13
"The people had willfully rebelled against God." Mor. 1:16
"Because of the hardness of their hearts the land was cursed for their sake." Mor. 1:17
"There were sorceries, and witchcrafts, and magics; and the power of the evil one was wrought upon all the face of the land." Mor. 1:19
"A continual scene of wickedness and abominations has been before mine eyes ever since I have been sufficient to behold the ways of man." Mor. 2:18

The people noticed Mormon’s strength and sober nature and they made him the leader of their army.  Because he loved them he did his best to lead them to victory in the battles they fought.  He loved them so much, he wanted to teach them the Lord’s ways, but  because of the wickedness of their hearts, Mormon was forbidden.  Mormon said, “I loved them, according to the love of God which was in me, with all my heart.”

Wow.  If it had been me, I probably would have taken the first train out of there and found a different group to hang out with.  I probably wouldn’t have liked them.  I really don’t think I would have loved them.  I definitely wouldn’t have baked fresh bread and taken it to my neighbors. 

But not Mormon.  He loved them.  Even with everything they did wrong, he loved them.  Even when they were steeped in sin, he prayed for them and wept for them. I think that is remarkable.  The person who taught us one of the greatest lessons on love learned it while surrounded by those who seem unlovable.  That has to mean something.

It makes me want to try a little harder to be a little more charitable.  It makes me want to think twice about how I treat others.  We all get frustrated by the people in our lives, but I would be surprised if any of them fit the same description of the Nephites in Mormon's day.  More likely, they have flaws just like the rest of us.  Maybe they are always late.  Or maybe they don't ever pick up after themselves.  Perhaps they don't tell us they love us.  Maybe they hurt our feelings now and then.  It seems like charity might be just the answer we need.  Maybe in those moments we can think of Mormon and draw on his strength and example and maybe that will help us to suffer a little longer, be a little kinder, not envy, not get mad easily…

I like the thought that if we are found possessed of charity at the last day, it will be well with us.  It makes me want to keep trying because truly, charity never faileth.


No comments:

Post a Comment