Thursday, January 3, 2013

One-of-a-kind miracle we are

 

Thankful for…Me!

Hilary Weeks
A few days ago, I was getting ready for the day and I was having a moment.  I didn’t like my hair.  I wished I didn’t have wrinkles.  I wanted to be thinner.  My husband came into the room and I asked, “Should I get bangs?”
“Do you want bangs?”  He replied.
“Well, ya, kind of, because they would cover the wrinkles on my forehead.”  I admitted.
“If you want bangs, you should get them, but don’t get them for that reason.”
For some reason, I was succumbing to the negative self-talk.  Nothing about myself looked pretty in the mirror.
My 8 year-old daughter met me at the vanity and as I combed her hair, the conversation continued.
“You are beautiful!” declared my husband.
“I just don’t feel that way today,”  I said, as I continued to point out additional disappointing features.   All the while, I knew I shouldn’t be having this conversation in front of my daughter.  I felt big tears well up in my eyes and begin to make their way down my cheeks.  She hugged me and restated Tim’s former compliment.  With freshly styled hair, she skipped out of the room.
Moments later, my 13 year-old came into the bathroom, threw her arms around my waist and said, “Mom, you are so pretty!”  Clearly, my 8 year-old had informed the troops about my melt-down and had called in back-up
Today….. I propose we take a minute to be grateful for ourselves and the unique, one-of-a-kind miracle we are.
These sticky notes are on my mirror now.
I like this reminder too…
 

No comments:

Post a Comment