Tuesday, January 29, 2013

When we are both reachable and willing, amazing things happen

 
By Hilary Weeks
Tuesday night was YW Stake Standards night.  I have a beehive – not the kind that produces honey, the kind that flat-irons her hair, plays mid-field in soccer and likes bagels with cream cheese – so she and I attended together.
It was fun to snuggle next to her during the program.  The first speaker talked about service, promptings, following the Spirit when directed and being reachable.
“Hmm…I need to be more “reachable,”  I thought to myself, as I pulled out pen and paper to make note of it.  In the midst of the texts, phone calls, bed-making, dish-doing, emailing, carpooling…am I reachable?  Can I hear the whisperings of the Spirit when I am prompted to serve?  If the Lord needs to meet a need, can He depend on me to hear His quiet nudging?
I committed to be more reachable.
We drove home and I came in the house anxious to climb into some warm PJs and remove the autumn chill from my bones…when the prompting came…”Go to so-and-so’s house tonight.”
My silent, but whiney response…”Whaaaaaaat.  Now?  I just got home? 
I was going to get my cozies on and relax.”
But I had just committed to be reachable and I was being “reached.”  I heard the prompting and I knew exactly what I was supposed to do, I just had to talk myself into doing it.
I grabbed my car keys and drove over.  The interaction was delightful…and needed.  
I love this dear friend of mine.  I am so glad I went.
As I drove home, I had an epiphany (a sudden or intuitive perception or insight…I know the definition and how to spell it because I just looked it up).
I am reachable.
It’s not really about being reachable.  For me, it is about being willing.
I hear.  I just don’t always follow.  I find excuses sometimes.  I often put it off.   The first step – reachability – is important but it is wasted when the second step – willingness – is absent.  It takes both.
And when we are both reachable and willing, amazing things happen.
“A willing heart describes one who desires to please the Lord and to serve His cause first. He serves the Lord on the Lord’s terms, not his own. There are no restrictions to where or how he will serve…. What does the Lord require for service? A willing heart and intense desire.”
Marvin J. Ashton
 

No comments:

Post a Comment