Wednesday, January 2, 2013

In those moments there is only One who can fix the brokenness

I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour.
Isaiah 43:11
By Emily Freeman
My children will tell you that I am an expert at fixing broken things.
In fact, one thing I remember most about the toddler phase are the moments when my kids would come find me with broken pieces of something precious cupped carefully in the palms of their hands.
They would hold the brokenness of it all up to me and ask with hope and pleading confidence in their eyes, “Can you fix this?”
I gave it my best shot every time. I got really good with super glue.
…and even the mechanics of small toys. Then everyone grew up.
The broken things are still precious, but they’re mostly tucked in their heart rather than cupped in their hands.
Still, sometimes, they come with the brokenness of it all, pleading. I wish super glue could fix a broken heart.
However, in those moments there is only One who can fix the brokenness.
Sometimes I think we get confused. At least I do…
We become so intent on fixing the problem ourselves, we don’t allow the Savior to do what He is best at saving.
Many years ago I was driving to the temple.
My heart was filled to bursting with heavy thoughts.  I had a sister whose family was carrying a heavy emotional burden that they didn’t have strength to bear.  We had gathered as a family to offer strength and support, but we couldn’t fix the situation for them, and that was heartbreaking.
My sister-in-law had called the day before to say that her husband had lost his job and that they were certain to lose their home.  She didn’t know what to do.  Oh, how I longed to be able to come up with a solution that would fix that problem, but I couldn’t.
I also had a dear friend who was struggling with a problem that had the potential to destroy her life and her family.  We had prayed and fasted together, and yet I knew deep within my heart I did not have the knowledge that would be needed to fix the challenge she was facing.
I was discouraged and I walked into the temple that morning with a heart that was heavy.
The temple was busy, so as I waited I turned to the scriptures hoping to maybe find some counsel I could use in at least one of the situations I had been praying about.
I turned to D&C 76 and read, “Hear, O ye heavens, and give ear, O earth, and rejoice ye inhabitants thereof, for the Lord is God, and beside him there is no Savior.   Great is his wisdom, marvelous are his ways, and the extent of his doings none can find out.  His purposes fail not, neither are there any who can stay his hand.” 
D&C 76:1-3
Immediately I knew what I needed to do.
My responsibility was not to fix the burdens these families were carrying;
my responsibility was to help bring them to Christ.
I could not save them, but He could. I knew the Savior would know what to do He would know how to help heal their hearts, He could teach them and lead them in the direction they needed to go.
His purpose would not fail and His hand would not be stayed.
Through His great wisdom and His marvelous ways He would do what was right in their life.
I could lift, support, strengthen, and I could add my faith.
The Savior would do the rest.
One of our most important roles is to lead those we love closer to the Lord.
We can do that by sharing what we know of Him from the feelings within our hearts.
Have you ever noticed that when you spend time with someone who loves the Lord,
you come to know the Lord a little better?
Somehow you come to better understand what He teaches, to feel how He loves,
and even to know His heart because you have come to know their heart.
It is because their words become His words, their actions become His actions,
and through their love we are led to feel His.
I want to be someone like that.  I want to be better at leading those I love most to know the Lord.
Because beside Him there is no Savior.
His wisdom is great.
His ways are marvelous.
His purposes fail not.
There are none who can stay His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment