Friday, January 18, 2013

The name of Christ

 
By Emily Freeman
Helaman 5:1 – Helaman 6:37
Each of my children was named after someone they can look up to.
Greg and I felt just as Helaman did when he explained to his sons Lehi and Nephi, “Behold, I have given unto thou the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may  remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how it is said, and also written, that they were good.  Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them.”  (Helaman 5:6-7)
Our children were each given two names… one with a scriptural background, and one of a friend or family member we admire.  They enjoy hearing the stories behind their names and the qualities we admire about the person they were named after.
In our home we have a quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley.  
It reads, “Be true to who you are, and the family name you bear.”
Shortly after we hung the quote we talked about what it meant to be true to a name.  We wanted our children to be reminded that everything they do outside our home represents the entire family.  Their actions bear the name Freeman.  Their choices determine whether or not they bring honor to our family, and also to the person they were named after.
Have you ever taken the time to think about the name you were given?  Your first name or your last name.
What about the name that each of us has been given?
…the name of Christ.
King Benjamin taught, “I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ…” (Mosiah 5:8)
I think of this name as I reread the verse in Helaman…
Behold, I have given unto thou the name…and this I have done that when you remember your name ye may  remember him; and when ye remember him ye may remember his works; and when ye remember his works ye may know how it is said, and also written, that he was good.  Therefore, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of him.”  
(Helaman 5:6-7)
I would that ye should do that which is good.
Bring honor to His name.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment