Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I don't know what I would do without them

By Emily Freeman
“I am so grateful for a part of mortality that we sometimes overlook: the intertwinings of our lives. I acknowledge the Lord’s hand in these intersections.
It should not surprise us, brothers and sisters, that Heavenly Father brings about these intersectings and intertwinings of our lives. So often after something is over we will say, “little did I realize” or “I had no way of knowing” in referring to these intersectings. But why should we be surprised? Each of us has circles of friendships, and within those lie the portion of the human family whom God has given us to love, to serve, and to learn from.
Within each of our circles of friendship there lie so many unused opportunities to love, to serve, and to be taught.  None of us ever fully utilizes the people-opportunities allocated to us within our circles of friendship. You and I may call these intersectings “coincidence.” This word is understandable for mortals to use, but coincidence is not an appropriate word to describe the workings of an omniscient God. He does not do things by “coincidence” but instead by “divine design.”
I am one who likes to know of happy ironies and happy intersectings.” Neal A. Maxwell

Lately my thoughts have been filled with thoughts about this intertwining principle.
Looking back over the last several years I see how my life has been orchestrated in such a way that my circle of friendship has grown to include people that I admire and love.  They lift me, and encourage me, and strengthen me as they love and serve and teach me.  I hope I do the same for them.  I don’t think they were put there by accident.  I believe the Lord led me to the people who I would need to make it through this life.
I love those friends.  I don’t know what I would do without them. As I think about their importance in my life I can’t help but reflect on my responsibility. I depend on the people within my sphere.
Which makes me realize that people probably depend on me.
 “This is what we desire to instill into the hearts of the sisters to be useful in their sphere and not be discouraged because of difficulties in the way, but trust in God and look to Him, and His marvelous blessings,
I promise you, will be poured out upon you.”
Lorenzo Snow
Today I am focused on my sphere…my circle of influence.  I wonder, who needs me today?  Are there opportunities for me to love, to serve, or to teach? I want to prepare my heart to recognize happy ironies and  happy intersectings so that I might be able to bless someone's life today.
The way my life has been blessed so many countless times.
A simple text, thinking about you today.  A kind note of gratitude.  Someone dropping off a bouquet of flowers.
Happy intersectings.
Sometimes we wonder how we will know what to do…how to serve…what to say.
…. exercise all the talents that God has bestowed upon you. And there is this about it in reference to your prospects of success. When a person commences to travel over a path that the Lord has marked out, and by which to accomplish good in His interest, he is sure to succeed. He is precisely where God wants him to be, and there is the place that you may, with the greatest propriety, ask God for His blessing.”
Lorenzo Snow


No comments:

Post a Comment