Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Written in the winding trail of our experience

 

Sometimes we must move forward when the end is invisible and all that we can see is the next step.
Shortly after I was called to be a General Authority, I went to see Elder Harold B. Lee for counsel.  He listened very carefully to my problem and suggested that I see President David O. McKay.  President McKay counseled me as to the direction I should go. I was very willing to be obedient but saw no way possible for me to do as he had counseled me.
I returned to Elder Lee and told him that I saw no way to move in the direction I was counseled to go.  He said, “The trouble with you is that you want to see the end from the beginning.”  I replied that I would like to see a least a step or two ahead.  Then came the lesson of a lifetime.  “You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness, then the light will appear and show you the way before you.”
I have learned over and over again that all of us must walk by faith near the edge of the light”
“‘Dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith’”
"Unless you are fully engaged in living the gospel with all of your heart,
you cannot generate enough spiritual light to push back the darkness."
Robert D. Hales

“No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you with an infinite love.”

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

“ ‘Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. … For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’ He spoke these comforting words in the context of asking his followers to develop a love pure enough to extinguish hatred, lust, and anger. His yoke is easy-but he asks for all our hearts. His words do not describe an event, but a process. He does not request the answer to a yes-or-no question, but an essay, written in the winding trail of our experience. As we move along that trail, we will find that he is not only aware of our limitations, but that he will also in due course compensate for them, after all we can do.’
Bruce C. Hafen


No comments:

Post a Comment