Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Joy of a Child

Whenever I'm disappointed with my spot in my life, I stop and think about little Jamie Scott. Jamie was trying out for a part in a school play. His mother told me that he'd set his heart on being in it, though she feared he would not be chosen. On the day the parts were awarded, I went with her to collect him after school. Jamie rushed up to her, eyes shining with pride and excitement. "Guess what Mom," he shouted, and then said those words that will remain a lesson to me:
"I've been chosen to clap and cheer."
When someone else’s Happiness is your Happiness, that is Love
Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge. The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child. The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there. When his mother asked him what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just helped him cry."
Teacher Debbie Moon's first graders were discussing a picture of a family. One little boy in the picture had a different color hair than the other family members.
One child suggested that maybe he was adopted.
A little girl named Jocelynn Jay said, "I know all about adoptions because I was adopted."
"What does it mean to be adopted?" asked another child. "It means that you grew in your mommy's heart instead of her tummy." said Jocelynn.
Author Unknown
When an ice cream sundae cost much less than now, a young boy entered a coffee shop and sat at a table. A waitress put a glass of water in front of him.
"How much is an ice cream sundae?" he asked.
"Fifty cents," replied the waitress.
The little boy pulled his hand out of his pocket and studied intently number of coins in his palm.
"How much is a dish of plain ice cream?" he inquired.
People were now waiting for a table, and the waitress was impatient. "Thirty-five cents," she said angrily. The little boy again counted the coins in his hand. "I'll have the plain ice cream."
The waitress brought the ice cream and walked away. The boy ate his ice cream, paid the cashier, and departed. When the waitress came back, she swallowed hard at what she saw. There, placed neatly beside the empty dish, were two nickels and five pennies her tip.

Author Unknown
As I was driving home from work one day, I stopped to watch a local little League baseball game that was being played in a park near my home. As I sat down behind the bench on the first-baseline, I asked one of the boys what the score was. "We're behind 14 to nothing," he answered with a smile. "Really," I said. "I have to say you don't look very discouraged." "Discouraged," the boy asked with a puzzled look on his face,
"why should we be discouraged? We haven't been up to bat yet."
“Often the greatest lifts we receive come from within the ranks of our families. Sometimes the hands needed most are those closest to us. Often the hands closest to us are the strongest…God has decreed family members are to help family members. God has decreed family members are to be a blessing to family members. When some of us in a discouraged frame of mind identify a family member as not worth a hand or a lift, may I remind us that when we continue to lift, regardless of the apparent results, added strength is ours.
The more we lift, the more we are able to lift.”
Marvin J. Ashton

No comments:

Post a Comment