Monday, January 6, 2014

What could I do

By Emily Freeman
Yesterday was a chicken little day. The kind of day when the sky is falling.
It started first thing in the morning.  A bit of sad news to start of the day.  The kind of news that tugs at your heart and makes you wonder what you might do to help.
Within the hour more bad news.  An entirely different family with a huge burden weighing down upon them.  Again, I wondered what I might do to help.
It wasn’t two hours later when my sister-in-law texted.  Greg’s dad was on his way to the ER…within an hour he was admitted.  How could we help?
As Greg was driving to the hospital more bad news came.  The kind of news that makes your heart stop for a second just before it breaks a little more.  Before Greg hung up he asked me, “What can you do?”
I fell into bed last night exhausted.  Every bit of me exhausted.  But particularly my heart.
My thoughts were consumed with wondering…what could I do?
And then I remembered one of my favorite scriptures in 2 Nephi…
“I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them;
and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.”  
Sometimes all we can do is pray.
And water our pillows.
And cry.
But I know, as did Nephi, that God will hear my cry.
“And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people.”

2 Nephi 33:4

No comments:

Post a Comment